This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

little girl with a tumour

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will email these organisations one by one, once I try to find out more information from Claudine.

I emailed a doctor at Duke University and this is what he said...

Vanessa,
This is an incredible case of what appears to be a large tumor.....I am
just not sure what but may be it is a Burkitt's lymphoma. There is no way
fro me to diagnose by picture.....we have people in Tanzania from Duke but
I do not know of anyone in the Congo and I feel impotent to give you any
suggestions.
My colleague John Bartlett here at Duke just came back from Tanzania and he
a director of Duke's Global Health so he might be able to provide
better insight and you could contact him. Just not sure what kind of
medical care is available in Congo.
I wish I could be of more help but just don't know what is available.
John P.

I emailed John Bartlett and he said,

Vanessa, how quickly has this tumor developed? If it has been very fast (ie days to weeks) then Burkitt's lymphoma is a good possibility. If it has been over months, then I would guess that she has nasopharyngeal carcinoma. A biopsy is needed to differentiate between them. Based on my travels in East Africa, I think that medical care in Nairobi, Eldoret or Kampala would give her the best chance for care. Centers in these cities do offer chemotherapy for Burkitt's, which has a reasonable chance for cure. It is complicated by the fact that she is from DRC and may have a hard time accessing care in these facilities as a non-citizen. Sorry not to have more hopeful news, John

**

They were both very fast to respond, which I'm grateful for. So I'll email Claudine now and try and find out more information to send to the NGOs.