This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Kikongo In Recovery

Have to be honest, I haven't been sleeping. Now the flu is over, I was going to just move on and keep going but it never happened. In the middle of the day I just start tearing up for no reason. Then there are my obsessive walks, pacing the sanctuary peering into everybody's faces to make sure there is no sign of a rerun. There isn't. But Brian, tired of all my tossing and turning and keeping him awake, suggested I concentrate on the bonobos saved by the amazing staff here. Promise I will move on soon, but I hope you won't mind me sharing a few stories.

During the crisis: Kikongo, the bonobo our student Suzy rescued in the middle of the night, is convalescing in the nursery. He is about 8 years old now, and usually in with the juveniles. After scaring us to death for two days - he was face down in the forest when Suzy found him, and she had to carry him to the vet block on her back - he spent another 48 hours being treated with oxygen while he gasped for breath. Anyway, the mamas are now keeping a close eye on him while he is in with the little ones.

It was like one of the cool high school kids just turned up at preschool - all the babies were following him around like he was a rock star, and even Kata, who won't say 'boo' to a fly, couldn't stop offering her swelling. That's her pushing her bottom in Kikongo's face. Kikongo was living it up, having sex with everyone and stealing all the milk - because he is a full head taller than everyone else.