This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Monday, June 1, 2009

SILENCE IS THE ENEMY

Last week I got an email from a friend of mine, Sheril Kirschenbaum, who runs a very popular blog called The intersection.

She wrote

'I invite you to join a very important blogospheric initiative called SILENCE IS THE ENEMY starting June 1st to help a generation of young women half a world away . Why? Because they are our sisters and children--the victims of sexual abuse who don't have the means to ask for help. We have power in our words and influence. Along with our audience, we're able to speak for them. I'm asking all of you use your platform to call for an end to the rape and abuse of women and girls .'

I have a vested interest in this because we work in Congo, where some of the worst abuses towards women have taken place.

So every Monday, I will be posting on what is happening. I'm warning you, it's disturbing. And what does it have to do with bonobo protection? Rape destroys women who hold the fabric of their society together. The slaughter of bonobos will not stop until women feel safe enough to go to the fields, providing enough food for their families.

The fate of bonobos and the Congolese are inextricably linked. The other bloggers and I just want to bring it to your attention that this is going on. These women and girls deserve to be acknowleged. I'm encouraging everyone to support Heal Africa, and NGO who runs a hospital where some of the worst abuses are taking place.