This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

apologies

hey everyone, just took down the civet post. sorry if it upset people. I guess as a scientist, I was so fascinated by the report of 'mothering' the civets by the bonobos that I forgot to think about if the deaths would distress people. I used to have bunnies that I 'loved' to death, and me, the cuddling behaviour of the bonobos, the washing of the civets was a similar. were the bonobos trying take care of them, like children played with dolls? was there imagination? pretend play? scientifically, even if it's in the ball park, it's incredible, because pretend play and imagination are what some people think makes us human.

but i agree, not so fun for the civets. no more torture stories, promise.