This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Kikwit

No news on Kata yet. Will keep you all posted.

Kikwit is my favourite adult. He’s built like a rugby player but he is the sweetest bonobo ever. When we’re doing the cooperation experiment, he always runs to the bars and holds out one arm so I can tickle him. Then even though he could break my arm with one little movement, he’s always careful to hold me really gently. Every time I see him, I just want to run into the enclosure and give him a big hug. But we aren’t aloud in the enclosure because even though bonobos are generally peaceful, if they bite, they’ll do a lot of damage. And then they could really hurt you, just by playing with you. Kikwit is as tall as I am and twice as thick. He is like Mr. Incredible.

Stany says when Kikwit hugs you, he never lets go. That sounds nice.