This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Friday, August 21, 2009

how do you tell when a bonobo is pregnant?

just got this from connie...

' how can you tell when a Bonobo is pregnant ,at the begining of her pregnancy? Does she act different?'

connie

you can tell bonobos get pregnant just like people - they get a baby bump!

and they start acting kind of lethargic, eating heaps, they miss their period...

when that happens, and the vets start to think, 'hmmm....' they give the bonobos a pregnancy test, just liek the ones we use. actually, the last time I was there I had my own little suspicions, which were unfounded, but I left my remaining tests with them that I think got used for Noki! that's how closely related to us they are - they can use our baby kits!! haha...