This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Kataco!

Here is the malnourished little bonobo from last year, Kataco, the one who nearly died because she wouldn't drink any milk.

Now she is quite the little madam, just look at that pout.



She loves her Mama Henriette, who sat with her in the bungalow for two months waiting for her to recuperate.


So as you can see she is totally adorable. Even if she is given to throwing tantrums.

Today I saw one of my most favourite bonobo behaviours - peering. It's when one bonobo wants some food, and they look very intently at them. Chimps actually try and take the food out of the mouth of the chimp whose got the food. Bonobos do it more politely, but I don't know if you've ever tried to eat with someone staring at you, but it's very disconcerting. It would work on me for sure.