This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Saturday, July 5, 2008

We're here!

Finally, we're at Lola! Thank god. Crossing the river was not as easy as I remember. In fact, can I offer some advice to anyone thinking of taking the boat from Brazzaville to Kinshasa - do not take 18 bags of luggage. Especially if you are only 5 poeple and therefore only have 10 hands.

The weirdest thing I saw was on the other side while we were getting hassled by customs (what IS in all those bags, madam?) was about 20 handicapped people coming through in a line with boxes strapped all over their bodies. There were blind people, people in wheel chairs, people with no legs getting carried, and all of them looked like suicide bombers with packets of whatever stuffed under their tshirts.

It turns out handicapped people are not taxed when they bring goods from one country to the other, so importers hire them to carry their stuff. crazy.

Here are the two newest bonobos - lukuru who is the smallest bonobo I have ever seen. She is only 18 months old and it's a miracle she's alive.


This one is Masisi, who is worryingly thin. I haven't had a chance to chat with the vet about the prospects of these two but will hopefully do by tommorrow.

Testing starts Monday!!