This blog has moved!

Please go to my new Psychology Today blog to see what I'm up to. To buy the book, Bonobo Handshake, please visit my website. To follow the adventures of the Lola ya Bonobo orphans, please visit Friends of Bonobos

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

this one is a little gross....

In Africa, things are always extreme than they are at home.

Sometimes I get mouth ulcers, or canker sores. It's not too bad, I can't eat pineapple but I can live with it.

Here, I get a mouth ulcer epidemic. The malaria medicine causes them and I have never experienced anything this disgusting in my mouth since I kissed that boy in the 9th grade. This is what they look like




Not only are they HUGE, but they are totally painful and I have a mouth full of them. I can barely talk. Eating makes me cry.

We have been watching a lot of House, that show about that cranky pants doctor, so naturally I'm assuming it's some kind of cancer or other horrible disease.

So here's my question:

I can switch malaria medicines. The one we take now, Malarone, is brand new and extremely effective - no one has come down with malaria on it since it came out. I can switch to Doxycycline, which I've taken before and doesn't give me mouth ulcers, but it's only 90% effective, which means there's a 1 in 10 chance of getting malaria.

Normally, I'd be like, malaria whatever, take the cure, but there's this prevalent type of malaria in Congo called falciparum that gets into your brain and can kill you in 4 days.

Put up with mouth ulcers? or switch drugs and risk death.

What would House do?